R&D Engineering Manager (Principal Engineer)
To apply for this position please refer to Remington’s website. Remington Careers
Senior level Manager with responsibility of managing the budget, schedule, reporting, cross functional coordination of a large P&L level project or collection of projects. Manages team of Engineers, Scientists and Technicians who researches, plans, designs, develops, and implements (into Production) new products, processes and systems into the sporting or defense related arms and ammunition markets. Highly experienced Engineer/Scientist able to lead others to apply existing and create new methods in design. Can support multiple teams as a technical expert and leader and serves as a liaison to production continuous improvement initiatives where needed. Provides analysis, review of designs and concepts and assists Product Management in building business cases to create a multiyear Technology roadmap. Responsible for the development budget and respective Engineering resource management. Supports and reinforces company policies and has expert working knowledge of the standardized Remington Product Development System (RPDS).
- Good understanding of the product development process and related advanced engineering designs/function knowledge is a plus.
- Competent in facilitating technical decision making and trade-offs based on supporting data and analyses.
- Demonstrated expert proficiency in program management skills including scheduling, budgeting, & reporting.
- Demonstrates innovation in tackling tough technical, scheduling and budget problems and routinely drives prioritization to ensure program delivery.
Customer and Supplier Relationship Skills:
- Capable of working with both internal (Engineering Managers.) and external customers/suppliers to understand requirements and deliver program targets.
- Working knowledge of what customer needs; hands on experience with products to support relationship.
- Capable of working within program budgets and schedules across multiple programs.
- Can align program and quality objectives to business objectives to ensure team remains linked to business strategy.
Task Scope of Responsibility:
- Responsible for program delivery on major P&L programs or a combination of several P&L Platform projects.
- May support program management on cross business initiatives beyond RPDS.
- Maintains delivery metrics at P&L level. Errors in judgment can cause significant cost overruns, schedule delays, quality issues and can have negative revenue impact on objectives set by P&L.
- May be asked to support assignment of projects across the P&L segments. With P&L leadership being responsible for setting priorities within the P&L program portfolio.
- Reporting up to P&L and ROC leadership.
Leadership and Change Management:
- Able to listen to cross functional teammates and get buy-in for proposed technical direction or approach through process discipline and tool use.
- Leads by example through action and seeks the respect of others through achieving objectives the right way.
- Able to get buy-in for change and continuous improvement.
- Maintains respect of teammates while holding them accountable for results.
Communication and Collaboration:
- Able to assess the situation and synthesize an appropriate communication to improve team effectiveness.
- Able to facilitate and drive program meetings and reviews on large cross functional programs.
- Comfortable providing both good and bad news honestly and backed up with data to both teams and management.
- Clear and concise in constructing messaging covering program delivery across the entire P&L.
- Demonstrates resilience and flexibility when required to ensure programs are delivered within the full guidelines of ROC values.
- Capable of driving process to ensure the most effective decisions are taken and facilitating the cross functional trade analyses necessary to optimize program delivery.
- Mature, seasoned professional able to handle the toughest situations with poise and positive attitude -‘There is always a solution!’.
Level of Review:
- Work results reviewed at program milestones and gate reviews.
- Responsible for innovation within process guidelines to meet customer objectives.
Skills and Education Required
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- BS degree in Engineering or Science (i.e. Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Materials engineering, Physics) from a four year accredited or nationally recognized college or university.
- 7 + years relevant experience.
- PhD with 5 – 10 yrs experience.
- Program Management Experience on multiple projects.
- Firearms and ammunition experience highly desired
- Ability to read work and interpret instructions in English.
- Ability to perform advanced mathematical operations such as exponents, logarithms and apply those methods to analyses involving frequency distributions, reliability, analysis of variance and factor analysis.
Other Skills and Activities
- Proficient with Microsoft Office suite necessary.
NOTE: Other levels of R&D Engineer will be considered for this opening; offer will be based on level of experience.
Starting salary: DOE
Health, Dental, & Vision benefits available
Employer matches 100% / 3% on 401(k) plan
Employer paid Life Insurance
Employee discounts on Barnes products and services
Applications need to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org or faxed to 435-856-1040. Resumes may also be submitted but will NOT be accepted without an application. Please send all correspondence to: Attn: Human Resources; with the job name. No Phone Calls Please.